Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Struggles with Sleep Apnea

I have sleep apnea, and I would really like to get a good night's sleep. I want to get up in the morning and have energy to do more than I absolutly have to do. I drag through the day trying to be alert enough to remember what I have to do, and do it right. Of course, if I could use my machine, I would be more alert and energetic. That's the rub. I can go to sleep with the machine on, but I wake up during the night unable to stand to have that mask on one instant more. When I wake up like this, I know if I don't take the mask off I'll never get back to sleep. Other nights I sleep all night, but I wake up without the mask.

I've come to the conclusion that the acid reflux is, perhaps, the culprit. The mask isn't bothering me any more because it's comfortable. I take sleeping pills to keep me asleep all night, but even with the sleeping pills I wake up anywhere from 4 to 6 in the morning after going to bed at 1am. This is not working well. I'm only getting about 4 hours of sleep a night.

I'm not supposed to nap, because I'm having trouble sleeping at night. I've never had so much trouble staying asleep. I used to be able to sleep in the afternoon and be ready for bed again at bedtime.

I'm on a quest to learn more about sleeping, and try to discover why I'm having so much trouble doing something that's supposed to come naturally. I'm going to explore sleep disorders, their treatments, and the new research discoveries. I hope you'll come along and learn with me. I'm looking forward to the journey.

Dale L. Edwards

No comments: